Choosing App Title for Your iOS App (App Store Optimization)
When you search something using the Store’s app on your iPhone, app’s icon, main screenshots (or video), overall rating, developer’s name and the app title are shown in the results. So, if your app is ready to be published on the App Store and you believe in first impression’s effect, then you should wisely choose the app name and of course design some wonderful icon and screenshots.
In this article, we are going to discuss about choosing a perfect name for your app to increase both conversion rate and app’s visibility, and we’ll talk about how to design engaging icon and screenshots in the next articles.
Things to consider when choosing a title:
- You are limited to 50 characters
- For optimal presentation on any iOS device (iPhone, iPod and iPad), you are recommended to keep the name around 23 characters
- If you insist on using more characters, make sure the first 23 characters are informative enough
- When choosing a name, consider both user conversion and app’s visibility rate
- Pick a unique name which is easy to remember and hard to confuse
- Don’t pick a name similar to your competitors
Step-by-step guide to choose a perfect title for your app:
1. Open the list of your keywords and check the first 5 most important keywords
2. Do a quick Traffic/Difficulty analyses and narrow down the result to 3
3. Now, pick a unique name for your app (Less than 10 character)
4. Check the combination of the unique name and important keywords, and control the character’s limit
5. Choose the best combination and your title is ready and it’s like: Unique Name + Most Important Keyword
Note that, the “Unique Name” is for branding and the “Keyword” is for ASO purposes and get the users familiar with the app’s whole idea and what they should expect from your app.
And you can always change the app’s name based on new keyword researches, but it’s highly recommended to leave the unique part of the title, unchanged.